Individualized care for your concussion
HealthWorks provides comprehensive concussion care. A concussion can result from any impact or blow to the head, neck or body. It can result from a soccer ball to the head, a fall or car accident. You can also suffer a concussion if your body is jolted and your head is suddenly jarred.
The HealthWorks team understands that concussion symptoms and recovery time are unique for every person. That's why we do a comprehensive exam and develop an individualized care plan to help get you back to the activities you enjoy.
How physical therapy can help
After suffering a concussion, you may have:
- Light and/or noise sensitivity
- Double and/or blurred vision
- Difficulty thinking
- Sensitivity to light
If you have sustained a concussion, immediate rest is the most important first step in recovery. Your doctor will determine if and when you can return to activity, school, work or athletics.
Most concussions resolve independently with many individuals reporting no symptoms after 7-10 days. If your symptoms have not resolved, it is important to know that physical therapy can help with balance, stability, focus, gait and mood. Your treatment plan will focus on reducing symptoms and determining the root cause of those symptoms.
Our team of experienced athletic trainers and licensed physical therapists work closely with you, your referring physician(s), coaches and employers on your recovery.
What our comprehensive program means for you
HealthWorks’s concussion rehabilitation program consists of:
- Vision, vestibular/balance, cervical/neck and exertion testing – exertion testing is also called Buffalo Concussion Treadmill Test
- Vision rehabilitation
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Aerobic exercise training that does not intensify symptoms
- Balance testing and training
- Pre-season baseline testing
- Return to play protocol – our specially trained physical therapists or athletic trainers take athletes through this specific protocol
- Return to work and life training
- On-field assessment and management to properly assess and manage acute concussions
HealthWorks ensures the best care possible for those who have sustained a concussion. Our team is up-to-date on relevant state legislation along with the latest research and rehabilitative techniques for treating concussions.